You just moved into a new house with beautiful hardwood flooring and are worried about keeping it looking as good as new for longer? Need to take care about a floor protection!
Here are some simple ideas for maintaining and protecting your hardwood floor in order to preserve its gorgeous natural look and increase its longevity and protect its value over the years:
- Take care of spills immediately. The sooner you take care of accidental water and other liquid spills on your hard floor – the less likely you will cause it permanent damage or staining. So, in case you happen to spill water or wine on your floor don’t panic. Get a soft dry cloth and soak up as much of the liquid as possible. Continue doing so until there is no longer any liquid transferred to the cloth.
- Make sure the humidity and temperature level in your home is under control. Too much and too little humidity and heat can both cause permanent damage to the hardwood floor.
- Inspect your floor for any damage or cupping. If you notice that there has been some damage make sure you call a professional hard floor repair service to sand the affected area or to remove and replace the damaged wood planks.
- Keep your floor clean and well-polished. Clean the floor on a regular basis by hoovering it with a soft brush attachment and then mopping it with a little water with wood soap or other cleaning products which won’t damage that shiny finish. You can also use a water and vinegar solution to spray the floor and then rinse it off by mopping it with a damp cloth. Use natural oil based polishing products to ensure that the floor remains looking shiny and great.
- Keep your floor from getting scratched or damaged form furniture and other impact. This can be done by using good quality Correx floor protection, as well as by placing cloth protectors underneath the legs of heavy furniture such as beds, tables and wardrobes. You can also use area rugs for the high traffic areas or at places where your pets and children tend to spend the most time to keep the floor from getting scratched or damaged.
It is advisable to hire a professional floor cleaning company to periodically come and deep clean and polish your wood hard floor in order to keep it looking at its best for many years.